Are you a family member of an EEA national?


EEA member states: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.  Citizens of Switzerland have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.


If you are not a EEA national, and you are married to an EEA national who lives, or is planning to live in the UK, you may apply for an EEA Family Permit Visa to live in the UK with your spouse and dependant children. You can also be the unmarried partner, family member, extended family member, or carer of an EEA national who lives in the UK.

We have had the privilege to assist many of our clients successfully obtain their EEA Family Permits to settle in the UK with their family. You are most welcome to contact us at +44 (0)20 3371 0606 for answer to your questions. Below are some questions we are frequently asked by our EEA family member clients:


EEA Family Permit FAQs


What is going to happen if the UK leaves the EU?

  • Brexit happened in June 2016. While the UK government is gradually deriving a solution , EEA citizens and their family members’ right to work and live in the UK remain unchanged. So far there are no changes to the rules of this visa category. Below is the latest statement by the UK Home Office to the UK EEA nationals:
    • 'The decision about when to trigger Article 50 and start the formal process of leaving the EU will be for the new Prime Minister. The UK remains a member of the EU throughout this process, and until Article 50 negotiations have concluded.
      When we do leave the EU, we fully expect that the legal status of EU nationals living in the UK, and that of UK nationals in EU member states, will be properly protected.
      The government recognises and values the important contribution made by EU and other non-UK citizens who work, study and live in the UK. '                UKVI   12 July 2016

How long does the EEA Family Permit last for?

  • If you are applying from outside UK, you will be granted an Entry Clearance (Visa), lasting 6 months, to enter the UK
  • In the UK, you can apply to extend by obtaining an EEA Family Permit which usually lasts 5 years
  • After you have lived in the UK for 5 continuous years with your qualifying EEA family member, you may apply for UK settlements (Indefinite Leave to Remain), you may apply for British Citizenship 1 year later

How do I know my spouse is eligible to live in the UK, and what is a qualifying EEA family permit sponsor?

  • Any EEA national has a right to spend 3 months in the UK for any reason. In order to qualify to live in the UK for longer than 3 months your sponsoring EEA family member has to be a ‘qualified’ EEA member exercising their Treaty Rights in the UK. To be classed as qualified, your sponsoring EEA family member must either:
    • Have ongoing employment in the UK
    • Have sufficient funds to support themselves in the UK for the long term
    • Be enrolled on an appropriate course of study in the UK

What if we are not married?

  • You do not have to be married. As long as you can prove you have been residing together in a genuine, subsisting relationship similar to marriage for at least 2 years then you can be eligible to apply for an EEA family permit

What else do I need to know about this visa category?

  • You have the right to employment in the UK on this visa category
  • If your sponsoring EEA family member is not already settled in the UK when you first arrive, they should apply for their residence card when you apply to extend your leave

If you have any further questions, we look forward to you getting in touch by email or call 020 3371 0606. If you are in London, drop in for a chat at our office in Mayfair, the nearest tube station is Bond Street / Green Park.