Tier 2 (General)

The Tier 2 (General) visa category of the Points Based System (PBS) is for those who have been offered skilled jobs in the UK and who are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland. This is the most common route for foreign nationals to work and live in the UK.

This visa leads to Indefinite Leave to Remain (Settlement).

An applicant must be assigned a certificate of sponsorship (CoS) by a licensed sponsor to apply under this category. The job must have a skill level at or above Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) level 6, unless exemptions apply. The job must pay at an appropriate rate.

Initial or Extension Applications

Applicants are required to score at least 70 points in total to successfully apply for this visa and can claim points in the following way:

Attributes 50 points

The applicant has to score 50 points under this section in the following manner:

  1. 30 points for a valid CoS from a licensed sponsor that meets one of the following requirements:

    • A Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT) has been conducted, or

    • RLMT exemption applies, or

    • The applicant is to extend his leave where he continues to work in the same role for the same employer

  2. 20 points for appropriate salary

English Language 10 points

Tier 2 (General) applicants have to provide evidence that they have knowledge of the English language to a certain level. This requirement can be met in one of the following three ways:

  • By passing an approved Secure English Language Test (SELT) with at least CEFR level B1 in reading, writing, speaking and listening. Please refer to the Approved English Tests Providers List.

  • By having a degree level qualification that was taught in English

  • By being a national of one of the majority English speaking countries, i.e. USA, Australia, Canada, etc.

Maintenance 10 points

The applicant needs to score 10 points under this section by providing evidence confirming sufficient money for the maintenance and accommodation of themselves. It is necessary to provide proof that at least £945 has been held for at least three months prior to submission of the application.

The applicant does not have to provide the maintenance evidence if his employer is an A-rated sponsor that can confirm they will cover his costs for a month if he needs it.

Indefinite Leave to Remain (Settlement)

Applicants can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain after they have spent a continuous period of 5 years lawfully in the UK.


You are most welcome to contact us at +44 (0)20 3371 0606 for answers to your questions. Below are some questions we are frequently asked by our Tier 2 (General) clients:


Tier 2 (General) FAQs


What is Resident Labour Market Test (RLMT)?

RLMT is a job advertising exercise that aims to protect settled workforce. The Sponsor must carry out RLMT for 28 calendar days and show there is no suitable settled worker to fill the vacancy before they can appoint a foreign candidate.



Can my family come with me to the UK?

Yes. You spouse, partner and/or children can come with you to the UK as your PBS Dependants. You have to provide evidence confirming an extra £630 for each of your dependants in addition to the £945 that is required of you. This can be exempt if your employer is an A-rated sponsor that can confirm they will cover the maintenance of your dependants for a month if it is needed.