Are you the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen or settled person in the UK?


You can apply for a UK family visa for settlement as the husband, wife or civil partner of a British citizen or a person with the settled status (Indefinite Leave to Remain or permanent residence) in the UK. You have to meet the requirements below to apply for this visa:

  • You are in a civil partnership or marriage that is recognised in the UK
  • You and your partner intend to live together permanently in the UK
  • You have passed an approved English language test in speaking and listening to the A1 CEFR level
  • You and your partner meet the minimum income requirement and are financially capable of supporting yourselves as well as any dependants without help from UK public funds
  • You and your partner have adequate accommodation for yourselves and any dependants which will be occupied exclusively by the family without help from UK public funds

We have had the privilege to assist many of our clients successfully obtaining their UK family visas to settle in the UK with their family. You are most welcome to contact us at +44 (0)20 3371 0606 for answers to your questions. Below are some questions we are frequently asked by our UK family visa clients:


UK family visa FAQs


How long does my UK family visa last for?

  • If you are applying from outside UK, you will be granted an Entry Clearance Visa, lasting 33 months, to enter the UK
  • If you are applying in the UK, you will be granted Leave to Remain Visa, lasting 30 months
  • After you have lived in the UK for 5 continuous years with your partner, you may apply for UK Settlement (Indefinite Leave to Remain). You may apply for British Citizenship 1 year later

What if we are not married?

You do not have to be married. You may apply for a UK family visa as long as you can prove one of the following:

  • You have been living together in a genuine and subsisting relationship similar to a marriage for at least 2 years
  • You are a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving

Am I allowed to work in the UK?

Yes, you have the right to employment under this visa category.


If you have any further questions, we look forward to you getting in touch by email on or calling at 020 3371 0606. If you are in London, drop in for a chat at our office in Mayfair. The nearest tube station is Bond Street / Green Park.